Here at CRANEL HQ we’re surprised on the daily at how much misinformation is out there – so we thought we’d make our own list of 10 vagina facts we think you should know!
- Vaginas are supposed to have a smell: don’t believe the narrative that all smelly vaginas are bad. Vaginas are a wet and warm place filled with its own bacterial flora. The smell may change based on the food you eat, whether you’re on your period, or on medication.
If you are feeling uncomfortable with the smell, however, check out how CRANEL can help!
3. What you eat can affect your vagina: As the saying goes, you are what you eat! A well balanced diet is always important for a healthy lifestyle, but the same can be said for your vagina. Some hot tips below:
CRANEL has a low pH due to the cranberry content, and can help regulate the pH of your vagina if it is too high.
Yoghurt or food with good bacteria can help maintain the acidity of your vagina.
Avocados have lots of vitamins and minerals that support the natural moisturizing of the vagina.
Nuts and seeds high in zinc help with hormone production that contribute to a strong immune system.
Water! Hydration is extremely important for healthy vaginal function.
4. When you say your vagina – you likely mean your vulva: The vulva is what you see on the outside of your body including your labia, clitoris, opening of the urethra, opening of vagina, anus, and mons pubis. See the diagrams below for further information.
Pictures courtesy of Planned Parenthood
5. No two vulvas are the same: Vulvas are like fingerprints, no two are the same. Shape, colour, size, and smell are all unique to each vulva owner! Be proud of your girl – she’s perfect just the way she is.
If you want to see just how different vulvas are, check out this collection of gorgeous vulvs!
Remember, just because your vulva is gorgeous just the way she is, your vagina may need some help. Check out CRANEL to make sure you're always feeling fresh!
6. Your vagina can get an erection: Yes kween, you read that right! It’s likely not talked about as much because it all happens on the inside of your body.
When you think of clit, you’re probably thinking about the outside of your body, or the little bit that sits at the tip of your labia. You’re right, but did you know that your clitoris extends back into your body? Well it does, and when you get aroused your blood rushes to the erectile tissue (just like a penis) and thus the clitoral erection. Wild huh?
7. Lots of sex won’t stretch out your vagina: The vagina is made up of highly elastic tissue and can stretch and return to its normal state after sex and childbirth.
8. Orgasms can relieve pain: Orgasms release hormones like oxytocin and endorphins known as the feel-good hormones. Pleasurable feelings tend to dull the feelings of pain, and can therefore help ease it!
9. Most women don’t orgasm from intercourse: A study out of Finland asked more than 8,000 women about their sexual experiences. The average age of their first sexual experience was 17 and most women didn’t experience an orgasm at this time.
The study also showed that only 6% of women said they always had an orgasm during penile-vaginal sex, and 14% of women under 35 years old had never had an orgasm from intercourse. Girl – you are not alone.
Be sure to clean your vagina after sex (not with creams or soap), but with CRANEL. CRANEL will help regulate your vaginal pH after sex!
10. When you’re pregnant – your vagina can produce more discharge: We all know vaginal discharge comes and goes, but during pregnancy it’s known to come a bit more. There are a few reasons. The first, is that the cervix and vaginal walls get softer which increases discharge to help prevent infections travelling up to the womb.
Discharge also increases as you get closer to birth as the mucus in your cervix begins to come away which “shows” you’re preparing for birth.
Even better news for you, CRANEL does a great job at keeping your vagina healthy! Only one shot. Once a week...simple enough!